Say goodbye to messy makeup brushes
Do you ever go to use your makeup brush on a morning and realise that it’s so hard it hurts? Well that was me yesterday as I tried to apply my foundation and almost bruised my cheeks.
A few years ago I would’ve simply tossed said brush in the bin and bought a new one.
What a terrible waste that is.
So while my husband collects the Sunday paper and fills up his car, I’ve taken a few minutes this morning to give my makeup brushes a little TLC.
I don’t use any fancy cleansing solutions to clean my brushes. Just shampoo, anti-bacterial hand soap and water does the trick.
I’m terrible for never finishing a bottle of shampoo before starting another one, so I’ve always got one or two with a bit left over – perfect for makeup brushes.
How do I clean the brushes?
- Rinse with warm water and let it soak in shallow water. Be careful not to get the handle or higher of the brush wet as this can damage it.
- Massage the brush hairs with a few pumps of shampoo. You’ll see the cakey makeup start to come out. You might even feel a little bit sad you let it get this way.
- Rinse with warm water and feel satisfied watching the offending makeup wash away.
- You may need to repeat step 2 and 3 if it’s pretty bad and it’s been a while since the last clean. No judgement here.
- Massage in a few pumps of anti-bacterial soap.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Allow your brush to dry over the edge of somewhere like a shelf.
- Rotate the brush periodically.
- Enjoy nice-smelling, soft and almost like-new makeup brushes without breaking the bank.
I hope, like me, you’ll give your brushes the TLC they deserve and of course this is much better for your skin and bank balance.
While I was at it I thought I might as well give the same treatment to my hairbrushes as they’re often neglected too. Same method as above but also involved the not-so-nice job of extracting pulled-out hairs. Lovely!
It’s worth it for clean brushes though!
Pin this 👇🏻
Do you have any beauty tips you’d like to share? Let me know in the comments.
Other beauty related posts
Find out all the amazing uses of super Sudocrem in my Sudocrem is a beauty saviour post.
See all the products I am loving in my current evening skincare routine post.
See what beauty treats I unwrapped in my unboxing Glossybox posts:
May’s daydreamer box here
April’s nostalgia themed box here
Double Glossybox unboxing here
February’s love themed box here
January’s self-care box here
Keep up to date
You can also find me on Twitter @rachael_stray
Or follow my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/rachaelstrayblog/
You can see my random pictures on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/rachys2011/
And see what I’m pinning on Pinterest https://www.pinterest.co.uk/rachaelstray/